Colorado Dermatopathology Laboratory
Colorado Dermatopathology is our in-house, state-of-the-art laboratory here at Colorado Skin & Vein. Our skin care experts understand the value of having an on-site laboratory for the convenience of our patients and specialists. Licensed under Federal CLIA guidelines and Colorado Statutes, we are pleased to offer you our clinical services at the Colorado Dermatopathology Laboratory.
Our Laboratory and Dermatopathology Experts
Michael Medina, Laboratory Manager
Michael Medina is our in-house lab technician and the laboratory manager of Colorado Skin & Vein. Mike received his business management degree from the University of Phoenix and trained at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. After his military service, Michael was the histology supervisor at Swedish Medical Center and Dermatology Associates of Colorado. With over 25 years of histology experience, Michael is always available to assist you.
- Referrals: We can accept any referrals from physicians in neighboring states, as long as they are permitted by state regulations. We want to make ourselves and our expertise available to you, no matter where you live.
- Transportation: For your convenience, a courier service is available to transport specimens within the metro Denver area and the surrounding counties. FedEx® is also available to transport samples outside of this radius.
- Pathology Reports: We can integrate with most electronic medical records (EMRs) to instantly deliver pathology reports. There is no reason to keep you waiting.
- Turnaround: Patients who come to our in-house lab can look forward to quick results. Most results are available in just 24 to 48 hours.
Dermatopathology Test Offerings
At the Colorado Dermatopathology Laboratory, we provide many dermatopathology tests. Our focus is to study, diagnose, and treat cutaneous diseases (skin diseases) as well as to identify potential causes of skin diseases. These tests can be used to assess your risk of developing a disease, identify a medical condition or disease, and determine the proper course of treatment.
Here are some of the tests we do at our in-house lab:
- Nail evaluations with biopsy of the nail bed, nail plate, nail scrapings, or nail matrix
- Oral mucosa with biopsy evaluations
- Skin excisions with evaluation of margins
- Skin biopsies
- Examination of slow-Mohs specimens with next-day turnaround time
- Trichogram evaluations (examination of the hair shaft), with biopsy evaluation for alopecia
- Periodic acid-Schiff staining with examination
Here are some of the tests we send out to referral labs:
- Direct Immunofluorescence (light microscopy)
- DNA mismatch repair (MMR) analysis to identify issues associated with DNA replication, damaged DNA, and genetic recombination
- Genetic mapping for melanoma with FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridization)
- HPV (human papillomavirus) genotyping to identify risk
- IHC (immunohistochemistry) and staining techniques for differential diagnosis, prognostic, and predictive biomarkers
- Molecular testing of the skin for signs of hematologic malignancies (cancers that affect the blood and lymph system)
With all our tests, we can offer a second, third, or later opinion to help you feel secure in your diagnosis. We also ensure all of our patients know that difficult cases are discussed in detail in a conference setting so that we reach a consensus before giving a diagnosis or recommending a treatment plan.
How to Submit a Specimen Section
- Existing Clients: Please complete the above requisition form. To submit, either fax it to (303) 683-3236 or attach it to the specimen when delivering it to the courier.
- New Clients: Please contact our office at (303) 683-3235 and speak to Mike Medina (laboratory manager) or Courtney Miller (patient coordinator) to set up your client profile.
List of Insurance Providers:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield® (BCBS)
- United Health Care® (UHC)
- Cigna LocalPlus®
- Cigna Open Access Plus (Cigna OAP)
- Rocky Mountain Health Plans® (RMHP)
- PHCS/Multiplan (Private Healthcare Systems®)