Do you know the differences between spider veins and varicose veins, including what treatments can be used to get rid of them?
Whether you’re looking out of curiosity or want answers for why you’ve developed these veins, here’s what you need to know about the differences between spider veins and varicose veins.
What’s the Difference between Spider Veins and Varicose Veins?
Spider veins and varicose veins are pretty different, but they both can result in the same feelings of self-consciousness. They’re both highly visible veins that tend to be caused by the same things (more on that in a bit) but that’s where the similarity ends. For example:
- Varicose veins are more “bulging” veins that look and feel bumpy, while spider veins are smooth to the touch and do not disrupt the skin’s surface.
- Varicose veins tend to be blue in color, while spider vein colors can run the gamut from blue to purple and even a dark red.
- Varicose veins can be painful, and even cause feelings of heaviness within the legs. While spider veins can be annoying, most patients aren’t able to “feel” the spider veins in the same way as varicose veins.
Treatments for spider veins and varicose veins can also be different. For example, spider veins can be treated by sclerotherapy, which uses a saline solution to irritate and eventually close the offending vein or by using a Pulsed Dye Laser for smaller veins. While varicose veins can also be treated with sclerotherapy, more severe veins may need endovenous laser treatments or endoscopic vein removal.
Request a Consultation
Simply fill out the form on this page, and one of our highly trained staff members at Colorado Skin & Vein will reach out to your promptly to schedule your appointment.
What Causes Spider Veins and Varicose Veins?
Spider veins and varicose veins usually have the same causes, which can include:
- Insufficient vein activity, which causes the blood to pool in the vein
- Hormonal changes
- Excessive time spent on feet
- Sun exposure
- And more
Take the Next Step
Want to learn more about how to treat your spider veins or varicose veins? Schedule a consultation at Colorado Skin & Vein in Englewood, CO. (303) 683-3235