Injuries and surgeries can leave scars that are constant reminders of experiences you’d probably rather forget. If you have unsightly scars in prominent locations, consider scar revision. With the right customized scar revision treatments, we can minimize your scars, soften their appearance, and in some cases, even eliminate them to improve your skin tone and texture.
Scar Revision Treatments
Scars are a buildup of excess collagen in the skin due to an overactive healing response from when the skin was first damaged. Some scars are red or purple, some are raised, and some are depressed. Scar revision treatments can treat the damaged skin and make it look more like the healthy skin around it. At Colorado Skin & Vein, we use multiple treatment modalities to get the best results for scar revision. These include:
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): Blood can be drawn from a vein in your arm and then processed to isolate and concentrate the platelet-rich plasma. PRP contains growth factors that stimulate healing and collagen production. This treatment can be used on depressed scars, acne scars, post-surgical scars, and many others.
- CO2 Fractional Skin Resurfacing: Laser energy leaves microscopic wounds in the scar tissue with bridges of healthy tissue around them. The laser energy stimulates new collagen formation to replace the scar tissue with natural-looking skin. It can also help normalize pigmentation. This treatment is used to improve the texture and volume of scars to create a smoother and more natural skin appearance.
- CryoShape™: The scar tissue is frozen from the inside out through a needle connected to a handpiece. The body removes the destroyed tissue, and the surrounding healthy skin is undamaged. This treatment is used on discolored scars and thick, raised scars such as keloid scars. It can soften and improve their appearance. It can also significantly reduce the volume of the scar and normalize the color of the skin.
- Cryotherapy: A quick and minimally invasive procedure freezes the scar tissue with liquid nitrogen, cutting off its blood supply and causing cellular destruction. The raised tissue then falls off. This treatment is used mainly on smaller keloid scars and may be followed by another scar revision treatment.
- Pulsed Dye Laser (PDL): A concentrated beam of light helps decrease excess collagen and redness in hypertrophic scars. This light energy creates smoother and more evenly colored skin.
- Subcision: A small needle is used to break up scar bands underneath the skin that pull the scar down. This treatment is used on depressed scars and evens out the height of the skin.
- Steroid Injections: Steroids and other factors are injected weekly over four to eight weeks to reduce scar thickness. This treatment is used on raised and keloid scars and is commonly used in conjunction with the Pulsed Dye Laser.
Most of these scar treatments are used in varying combinations to achieve the best results. As an example, steroid injections may be combined with PDL to first reduce scar thickness and then improve its coloring and texture. Scars caused by injuries, surgeries, acne, and even burns respond well to these treatments, especially when multiple techniques are combined.
At Colorado Skin & Vein, we use all of these scar treatments to help people like you get rid of unwanted scars. Every treatment is customized for the most effective results in the minimization and erasure of scar tissue. To request a consultation, please call us at 303-683-3235 or contact us online today.