What should I expect after my treatment?
- Swelling, redness, firmness, itching and tenderness at the treatment site are common side effects which will usually resolve within two weeks.
- Swelling may cause area to look over-treated, this will resolve as the swelling dissipates.
- Bruising, which may last a couple of weeks does not prevent product from working properly.
- Radiesse works immediately but its effects are best noted after any swelling has resolved.
- Radiesse usually lasts about 12-18months. To maximize longevity of treatment you may opt to have a touch-up at 3-4 months.
- When Radiesse is used in conjunction with Botox it tends to last longer.
What care should I take after my treatment?
- The day of your injection don’t plan on a massage, exercising, facial, microdermabrasion or anything else that may elevate your blood pressure or manipulate your injections sites. This may increase the likelihood of bruising and swelling to the treatment areas.
- Wait about four hours to apply your cosmetics, moisturizer, or lotion (this will help decrease the risk of infection.
- Avoid anything that causes pressure or discomfort.
- Minimize exposure of the treated area to excessive sun or UV lamp exposure and extreme cold weather until any initial swelling or redness has gone away.
- Revisit the clinic in two weeks to talk with your practitioner and have photos taken.
Treatment of Common Side Effects:
- Swelling, redness, firmness, itching and tenderness for up to two weeks: Place cool packs over the area, 800mg Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every six hours with food and/or 25-50 mg Benadryl (works well for itching) every six hours. Note: the Benadryl will likely make you sleepy.
- Bruising: may last a couple days to a couple weeks. To help bruising, place cool packs over the area immediately after treatment.
- Arnica Montana can be very effective when used as a topical gel or an oral tablet. It is most effective when both forms are used together, take the tablets and apply gel 4-6 times a day.
- Bromelain (an enzyme found in pineapple) also helps to minimize the bruising by helping to digest the proteins that trigger bruising and swelling. Take 250-500 mg four times a day until the bruise heals.
If you have any of the following symptoms please call the office at 303.683.3235 to follow up with your practitioner.
- Infection: look for redness, increasing discomfort or discharge from injection areas.
- Allergic reaction: look for severe swelling, itching, or redness within 24 hours of treatment.