Pulsed Dye Laser Aftercare
The Pulsed Dye Laser treatment is a process. Most patients (except those with Port-Wine Stains) will require anywhere from 1-4 treatments. You should expect some redness and swelling over the areas treated for the first day or two. Applying ice packs over these areas for the first 24 hours will decrease the severity of redness and swelling. You may also notice some small, circular bruises over the treated area especially after more aggressive treatments. These bruises will take between 1-2 weeks to clear in most cases. Taking oral Arnica and applying it topically can significantly reduce the duration of these symptoms. You should avoid sun exposure and tanning creams for at least two weeks before and after your treatments. Tanning of any type may increase your risk of hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin) or hypopigmentation (lightening of the skin). Taking high doses of iron may also increase your risk for hyperpigmentation.
Post treatment instructions:
- You may return to your normal activities the same day, but try to avoid strenuous exercise and hot tubs for 48 hours.
- Do not rub, scratch, or pick at the treated area. After bathing, pat the treated areas dry instead of rubbing them.
- Mineral-based make-up will help cover any redness and is less irritating to your skin than ordinary make-up.
- Sun exposure to the treated area may cause hyperpigmentation. You need to completely protect the area with a zinc-based sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher).
- Mild to moderate post-procedure tenderness may be relieved with cool packs and Tylenol 500-1000 mg or Motrin 800 mg every six hours.
- A follow-up appointment should be arranged 4-6 weeks after your treatment.
If you see any signs of infection (discharge, increasing redness or tenderness) or have any questions please call the office at 303.683.3235.